Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mythic Fiction and Contemporary Urban Fantasy

How can you not love Neil Gaiman? Before this it had been Good Omens, Sandman (courtesy of your Comic Literature class), and Coraline for me. I was more than happy to tack on another book from his mind to my list of have-reads. My first real impression of this book was how it really read like an epic myth. I'm reminded of the stories I know through Greek and Roman mythology, in such these beings, these gods, caught up in the minutiae of the every day, effecting the people around them in great ways. Though I feel this sort of theme is a bit subdued, I also recognize typical mythical elements. (For example, Fat Charlie just accepting that he now has a brother named Spider, a sort of matter-of-fact transition that might be found in, say, The Oddysey. More pertinent to my point, the interesting magic behind the animated clay spiders or the bizarre action of having one's tongue stolen - far from typical fantasy.) Yet they are not Greek or Roman. They are African myths. Or so it's implied; I can't really say I know any genuine African mythology. The gods being named after animals is the first clue to divert from typified thought surrounding myth.

As a book, it's classically Gaiman. (Whatever that means.) Filled with humor, strange triumph with all the depressing story to finally build up to it, and sublimely bizarre and original, this is not typical of any other authors I can name immediately. Like any of his other work, it's hard to put down, and it's surprisingly easy, pleasurable reading. As diverse as his characters and plots are, he has a real penchant for keeping things simple. I think that must be a big appeal in his work. To that end, it's interesting to compare him to writers like Tolkien; as stated in class he refuses to know the formula to a typical Heroic Journey, so the outcomes and the journeys of his own characters feel significantly less forced, less implied. There must be a lot of underlying appeal to his work. He is hugely successful for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment